DMS is one of Canada's premiere real estate services companies managing a wide range of property types providing tenants and landlords with superior service and outstanding value. DMS was ranked Canada's 2nd largest apartment manager in Canada in May 2018 by Canadian Apartment Magazine and is currently managing over 18 million square feet with a value of over $3.5B.
We are currently seeking a Building Maintenance Inspector to join our team in the Toronto area. Reporting to the Regional Manager, the Maintenance Inspector is responsible for providing advice and assistance to site maintenance staff ensuring efficient and cost effective day-to-day maintenance of buildings, building systems, and grounds; developing and implementing preventative maintenance and safety programs; administering ongoing contract activities; and for providing technical guidance and support as needed.
This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to provide a description of those principal job elements. All job descriptions are subject to change.
As a member of the property management team on site(s), the key responsibilities of a Building Maintenance Inspector include but are not limited to:
- Consults with staff and provides technical guidance, recommendations and assistance in the analysis of building system problems, contributes to the development of options and recommends solutions.
- Ensures compliance with applicable legislation such as the Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code, Canadian Standards Association, Technical Standards Association, and Electrical Safety Authority.
- Responsible to provide work direction to maintenance staff, including summer landscape and maintenance students.
- Inspect and ensure keys, tools and supplies are organized and fit for use at each work location.
- Conducts routine property inspections to ensure high technical standards, including annual unit inspections with management and maintenance staff.
- Responsible for maintenance and routine testing of building heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems
- Develops and implements preventive maintenance programs; provides technical support, contracts for services and performs inspections to ensure program compliance.
- Updates and assists with updating the Fire Safety Plans, ensures compliance with Ontario Fire Code and co-ordinates routine inspections/fire drills, etc., in accordance with local Fire Department regulations.
- Researches sources, implements and monitors ongoing energy and building conservation programs and initiatives.
Contract Administration Activities:
- Participates in the tendering process for maintenance contracts by providing input on the condition of the buildings and systems based on inspections and contractor feedback.
- Responsible for special projects pertaining to maintaining, enhancing or improving the physical conditions of the sites.
- Performs contract administration for specified day-to-day maintenance projects covered by tenders and/or standing agreements; monitors performance of contracts through inspection of work, resolves contractor time delays, performance, quality, safety issues and contract discrepancies; and evaluates contracted work with regards to future contract selection processes.
- Participates in Operational and or Municipal Licensing reviews.
Financial, Data and Reporting Functions:
- Recommends purchase order related to the purchase of supplies and services
- Participates and assists in the preparation of the annual budget involving day-to-day maintenance, improvements and major repair/replacement work, recommends priorities and estimates costs.
Liaison, Communication and Customer Service Activities:
- Arranges for training for site staff on technical and safety related matters, in consultation.
- Assist with Board reports and correspondence regarding maintenance, contractor and supplier activities as required.
- May occasionally be required to respond to emergency situations outside of normal business hours.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Desired Skills and Experience
To succeed in this role, the candidate must possess the following combination of education, experience and skills:
- Post secondary Certificate in Building Maintenance, Architectural Technology, Engineering Technology or a related discipline or equivalent approved combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five (5) years experience in the field of building maintenance and/or construction including working with various building trades.
- Valid Ontario Class "G" driver's licence and reliable vehicle for use on business.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self management and accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
- Sound knowledge of residential building construction and maintenance administration.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the application of related legislation including: Ontario Building and Fire Codes, local by-laws, health and safety legislation and the Construction Lien Act.
- Knowledge of the tendering process.
- Knowledge of the budget process, including cost estimating and prioritising of maintenance projects.
- Proven negotiation, project management and contract management skills.
- Computer literacy in a Windows environment with proficiency in word processing to prepare correspondence and reports.
- Ability to identify and analyze a wide range of maintenance problems and determine cost-effective solutions, read and prepare drawings and specifications, estimate costs and schedule work in an efficient manner.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours as required.
Please forward your resume with the position you are applying for in the subject line Building Maintenance Inspector (A1308)
Thank you in advance for your interest. We regret that we can only respond to candidates chosen for interview. Candidates must be authorized to work in Canada.
We are an equal opportunity employer and will provide accommodations during the recruitment process upon request.