Social Worker / Community Relations and Recreational Coordinator
We are hiring a Social Worker / Community Relations and Recreational Coordinator to join our team in Scarborough. Reporting to the Regional Manager or designate as may be assigned, is responsible for participating in the assessment and resolution of complex issues in programs delivered both internally and externally; developing and maintaining positive and cooperative partnership; assisting individuals and their families to identify alternative service options and to obtain the most appropriate services to enable them to maintain their housing, employment, and/or childcare services. Leading in engaging the community in developing community programming to be shared by Ridgeford Community Homes.
Community Relations and Recreational Functions:
- Welcome new tenants to the community;
- Facilitates/mediates the resolution of difficult, complex problems the household is facing which are resulting in barriers to access service, maintenance, and/or self-sufficiency (e.g., anti-social, medical/psychological problems, tenancy, community problems, etc.) by working with individuals and families; investigating and determining causes, outlining implications regarding their future status, and developing options/recommendations to de-escalate crisis situations and resolve issues.
- Provides instrumental and supportive counseling and case management to assist individuals and their families to function in the community.
- Provides crisis intervention in urgent household situations; investigates and recommends solutions, referrals, etc. as required.
- Supports and enables frail elderly residents to function as independently as possible; assists and counsels households in long-term planning as assigned.
- Spend time with residents in need to listen and help them adjust.
Liaison, Communication, and Customer Service Activities:
- Develops partnerships and maintains ongoing liaison with the City of Toronto delivered services, community, and social agencies by facilitating and/or attending multi-agency (e.g., health, social, community, recreation, local law enforcement) meetings; supports and encourages site staff to develop and maintain awareness of community issues and programs.
- Facilities and supports the establishment of tenant organizations and/or recreation committees and acts as a resource person to the residents in assisting them to obtain funding for programs, integrate into the community, establish social clubs, etc. as assigned.
- Initiates/chairs or participates in conferences; ensures that documentation and plan of action is completed; refers households to other services where appropriate and maintains follow-up records.
- Participates on committees and represents the Ridgeford Community Homes on committees as required; attends and participates in community meetings and provides regular updates.
- Responds to community inquiries and resolves concerns, as appropriate, from the public, etc.
- Support the development of tenant surveys, summarizing results, and actioning requests
- Ensures that services provided meet Ridgeford Community Homes' mission and standards.
- Prepare a monthly report
- Support applying for grants available for community development including, camps, food banks, activities, etc.
- Supports the annual Scholarship initiative
- Assists in budget planning directly related to community events and programming
- Provide crisis intervention, community referral, and counseling / mental health case management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant experience
- MSW from School of Social work.
- Must be CCS paneled to work in Women & Children Services
- Bilingual or proficiency in other languages is an asset
- Non-Profit/ Social Housing experience is a strong asset
- Demonstrates a high degree of integrity
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills – MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Energetic leadership. Enjoys leading by example.
- Using a “can-do” attitude that will positively influence, motivate and energize the team.
- Proven ability to identify, evaluate and develop new ideas with supportable results
This is an excellent opportunity for a career-minded property management professional looking for a challenging opportunity.
Thank you in advance for your interest. We regret that we can only respond to candidates chosen for an interview. Candidates must live and be authorized to work in Canada.
Please note: Successful candidates will be asked to provide proof of their Covid-19 vaccination status. Accommodation will be provided to candidates who are legally entitled to accommodation.
We are an equal opportunity employer and will provide accommodations during the recruitment process upon request